Monday, 9 August 2010

Review: The Eternal Ones - Kirsten Miller

Published: August 10th 2010, Razorbill

Acquired: Sent for review by Penguin

Pages: 411 pages, paperback

Series: Yes, the second installment is due for release in September 2011

Summary (from Goodreads): What if love refused to die?

Haven Moore can’t control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother’s house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was.

In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves¸ before all is lost and the cycle begins again.

My review: I’ll be honest – I wasn’t particularly excited about The Eternal Ones. I’m not sure why (but I suspect it had something to do with the constant Twilight comparisons) but there was something that made me a little unenthusiastic about the novel. However, when I forced myself to sit down and start reading, I was hooked from the outset. I absolutely love this novel. It’s on a par with The Sky Is Everywhere, that’s how much I love it – and if any of you read that review you’ll know that’s a lot.

The love story is at the same time so all-consuming but so real, that’s one of the novel’s main strengths. Haven and Iain quite clearly adore each other but they have arguments like any couple. They’re jealous, they withhold things from each other and they question their relationship – just like any real life couple. But when all of that is said and done their love is unending and once they finally find each other nothing can tear that apart.

Enter our villain, who is an absolutely brilliant character. Miller worked wonders with this evil genius and I found myself hating them so much I felt actual anger, which shows how powerful the writing is. Our villain wants nothing more than to break down Haven and Iain’s love and will stop at nothing. And I mean nothing – it gets a little bit dark at points, which I was more than happy with but may not be suitable for younger readers.

I loved the collision of Southern charm and the cool streets of New York that made up the landscape for The Eternal Ones. Ever since reading Beautiful Creatures I’ve had a little soft spot for the South and I really loved the description of Haven’s home town, Snope City.

The flashbacks (or visions) in The Eternal Ones are great, I was completely gripped through each and every one and didn’t want to skim over these sections at all, which I often do. It was fascinating to learn a little bit more about Ethan and Constance’s story with each vision and I loved the mystery in the story. There were so many times when I wasn’t sure whether I could trust Iain or not and I really enjoyed going on the journey with Haven to find out whether her true love was really the man she thought he was.

The ending of The Eternal Ones is completely perfect. Enough loose ends were tied up that I wasn’t left frustrated but there were a few questions that will keep me pondering until the release of the second installment, meaning The Eternal Ones is not a novel I will forget in a hurry.

First line: ‘Haven was back.’

Final thoughts: An epic love story that will sweep you off your feet and into Haven’s seductive but dangerous world.

Read if you liked...: Beautiful Creatures – Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Rating:
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 4.5/5
Total: 17.5/20 (A)

8 comments:

  1. brilliant review! i love how you broke everything down. i wasn't particularly interested in reading this one, either, but your review totally convinced me to get a copy. you had me at "It’s on a par with The Sky Is Everywhere" :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this one too. I'm hoping for a sequel.


    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I cacn't wait to read it. Just one day left to hit the bookstores!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you had me at Evil Genius!

    I wasn't excited about this book either, but I did love the cover - I sort of like jewelry symbolism, so the snake biting it's tail got my attention - but your review certainly kicked the "I wanna read" factor a lot.

    Thanks for the review,

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been sort of on the fence about reading this book, but after reading your review I have decided that it is one that I will definitely be reading.

    Thanks for the great review!

    Jane
    janestoryblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I'm even more excited about reading this book now! So glad it turned out much better than you expected. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not thrilled with that cover, but I am looking forward to this one. And yes 'evil genius' hooked me as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt much like you did about starting the book. Then, I really liked it. Holding my review until September.

    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.